Saturday, September 11, 2010

And now, the news

Sometimes we are overtaken by events. I will list there here and try to provide some insights on them when I have actual time to think about them. Things have unfolded this way.




Things all started when my mom was going in for elective surgery. My brother ferried me and my bike out to my folks place. I did a week long bike trip from their house to mine.



After the bike trip, I went caving and camping in UT with a friend and his caving group the next weekend. That was excellent fun.

On the way home, we heard Fourmile canyon was on fire. The start of the fire was about three hundred yards from my friend’s house. We tried in vain to get news on the way home. The fire was three miles or so from my place at that time. My friend wound up heading to my place where he is hanging out till the canyon opens again.

I left for Buenos Aires and the language school there. Hooray!

I found out my friend's house was still standing, the wind had pointed away from his place enough that it didn't burn.

The wind shifted and my friend and girlfriend found out they may have to evacuate our house!

I got a spooky email informing me that a very nice and intelligent guy I met on the caving trip had comitted suicide.

We return to where we began with my mom's health. I found out that during the elective operation they found a tumor pushing on my mom's aorta. The tumor is beningn and they have scheduled a removal.


Now for some color commentary-


I decided that being in BA should be no reason to not stay in shape. I got on google to look for local gyms. Fortunately I decided to wander before heading off to the closest google advertised gym. On my block is a gymnasium de Boxeo. Boxing gyms are my favorite. The equipment is always the oldest and most beat up and the level of pretension is always the lowest. Like the boxing gym I used to frequent in Boulder, this one has added some cardio classes and even some treadmills to attract the other half of the potential market. It seems like the proclivities of the founders shine through though. The boxers I have known have been some of the nicest most laid back people you find in a gym setting. There is also less preening and staring yourself intently in the eye in front of the mirror as you do your reps. Funny the things that translate long distances and the things that don’t.

But distances are getting smaller these days I suppose. I got a variety of little packets with my food. After running out of ketchup, I decided to try the salsa golf. Turns out it was fry sauce, I suppose the Mormons have been coming down here from UT for a while now.

No comments:

Post a Comment