Friday, January 7, 2011

Sociological Observations in the Peruvian City of Cusco

I went into the local McDonalds new years eve and noticed that the name (SSID) for the local wifi advertised was “You fat beast McDs is bad for you”.  I had not seen SSIDs used as social advertising before.  The really funny part was that the network wouldn’t connect and I couldn’t check my email.  A Peru experience in more ways than one.
In other countries you experience crosswalk performers looking for spare change, jugglers and the like.  Here in Peru the phenomena has reached a new low.  And by that I mean height.  Three times this week I saw grade school kids doing cartwheels in front of the cars and then running by asking for spare change.  I suppose comfort with danger starts early in this place. 
The other thing I notice is the age of the cabs here.  By that I don’t mean the model years, they probably aren’t more than 6 years old.  This isn’t Cuba, but the phrase bucket of bolts comes to mind.  My dad always had an actual literal bucket of bolts around the garage for fixing random things.  Thirty pounds of random steel.  I acutely recall the sound it made when I would drag it over to where he was working and drop it down on the cement garage floor.  This bucket of bolts sound is the sound the 6 year old cabs (by Daihatsu and Kia) make as they tromp over the choppy Cusco streets.
There is also a different aesthetic expectation when eating.  I notice that many of the smaller kiosks, especially street kiosks, for food have toilet paper for napkins.  They actually work better than the wax paper they tend to give you in Argentina.  Some places even have  a little toilet paper holder built in to hold the TP/Napkins.  As long as they are two ply, I am good.  I guess that is why I never get asked for decorating tips…

No comments:

Post a Comment