Friday, January 7, 2011

Machu Picchu

I leave at 6 in the morning tomorrow, Saturday.  If you don't see a wrap up for this Peru trip by the end of next week, look for my body below the slipper rainy slopes of the Inca Trail.  Hopefully the rain gods will allow a few pics I can post.  If I see a rainbow, I will try not to leave my mouth open as I take a pic.  The Incans believed it was harmful to your health, according to my tour guide.  This is the guide that showed us the temple outside Cusco where they did the animal and human sacrifice.  It seemed like it was OK somehow since it was just the noble class that got sacrificed and only during times of terrible weather, war or turbulence.  The common people were not sacrificed, or so she said.  They only used some babies of the noble families and virgins of high birth from the local women’s temple.  I expect nowadays only virginity is sacrificed on the platform in that little carved cave/shrine as opposed to virgins.

No comments:

Post a Comment