Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Going way back

A couple of things on this trip took me back to my youth.  Not a place I normally like to go, I am quite happy being and adult.  The first had to do with the beds.  Neither was very comfortable; they were worn and concave.  So I took one of the thin foam mattresses and put it on the floor.  This worked well, but I found that with the solid ground just below me I could easily cut off the circulation to my arm if the weight of my head or body were on it.  This time I just rolled over in the night.  This used to happen to me in a bunk bed I had that was too small.  When I was a teenager I would have a recurring nightmare that a boa constrictor was in my bed.  I would wake up in a panic only to go into a second panic to find out it was not a snake but my arm which had no feeling and would not move.  This always corrected itself in a few minutes, but it always took a while to get back to sleep after that.
The other even was trying the local delicacy, Cuy, which is fried Guiney pig.  It had an herb I didn’t like, but the meat, what little there was, was actually good.  It was much better than the squirrel I was forced to cook and eat after a friend and I made our first mammalian kill with a sling shot at a scout camp long ago. 
Cuy and Sarah, quiet the dish.

Not a lot of meat - I didn't realize you were supposed to eat the skin, like at KFC

No comments:

Post a Comment