Sunday, January 23, 2011

Happy Trails

I have finished my first full time week back at work.  It is hard to say goodbye to my sabbatical.  At this point, my Spanish is much improved.  It is funny though… I think I speak better than I listen.  Of course people who know me may think “that is no surprise”. 
When I talk I get to choose the words I use.  English similar words are popular for me.  I can simplify the grammar to break my thoughts down into more simple sentences than I would in English.  I can speak slowly.  However, I lose all that control when others talk.  Usually I can’t overhear a conversation and understand it.  I can typically get general points such as the idea that they were discussing a car and something that was expensive, but I typically couldn’t recount to someone what I have overheard. 
So, to develop my ear, I am watching a movie or two a week in Spanish with the subtitles or closed caption in English turned on.  Murray and I watched The Princess Bride in Spanish last night.  Murray cried at the end.  I am typing up this final entry on the same big screen TV I used to watch the movie.  I am telling myself that as long as I don’t attach cable or an antenna to the display, I am not violating my no TV policy.
Murray and I have a trip to Barcelona planned for April.  So the adventure isn’t fully over.  Perhaps I will get another shot at a sabbatical in the future.  If you get the chance, I would recommend it to anyone.

Happy Trails-

Isaac.



1 comment: