Sunday, October 24, 2010

I just missed the funeral

It is an odd vantage point on the fringes of a community going through the loss of its center.  Many were overwhelmed with grief but several of the old ladies had acquired a poise of resignation.  I actually heard one complain about becoming proficient at the funeral routine.  There is also an expectation that there will be an outpouring of support and food.  Murray was wondering about the food situation when we started hunting for breakfast Saturday morning, but it quickly started rolling in. 
As we sat there in the kitchen with the mounting piles of food, I noticed a cookbook on the shelf.  “Being dead is no excuse”  “A southern ladies guide to hosting an exquisite funeral”.  We all had a laugh about that one.  There is much to be said for a group of people that can maintain a sense of humor in the midst of grief. 
I had an odd experience of manning the house as all of Carolyn Senior’s kids, were out doing preparations.  My task was to man the phones and answer the door as people came by.  I must say that people in South Georgia have a very polite way of asking “who the hell are you?” when surprised in an emotionally fraught situation.  I also took on a few gardening duties while I was there.  Murray asked one of her mom’s friends if there was anything Carolyn would have wanted to have done as people started to show up.  The old lady mentioned that Carolyn would certainly disapprove of company with the long, non-flowering chutes overpowering the flowers.  The woman had a point so I found some scissors and cleaned things up.

No comments:

Post a Comment