Saturday, November 6, 2010

Passion and Discipline

Nov 6

It has been a while since the last post.  I find there is a discipline to blogging and perhaps to writing in general.  You need to have something with you at all times to capture notes on interesting things that you observe, experience, or even pop into your mind.  This was confirmed reading Mary Roach’s “Bonk”.  She talked about trying to decipher some interesting and cryptic notes from some of her outings as she wrote the book. 
I think many great things from: parenting, to music, to sex, to writing, lie at the intersection of passion and discipline.  It feels like I used to have more capacity for passion and less for discipline.  As I sift through hazy memories of things I wanted to share on the blog and consider my inability to keep Spanish verb conjugations in my head, perhaps I have been slipping on the discipline front as well. 

Isaac at Cerro De La Cruz above Antigua


2 comments:

  1. So what about those of us who have neither passion nor discipline? Well I take pictures cause my brain is like a leaky sieve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think many of us keep hoping we will find a passion that overtakes us with a vengance. My experience is that you have to take something that slightly tickles your fancy and run hard with it.

    ReplyDelete